25 April 2016

Generational Differences and Research

Last week, I gave a presentation on Generational Difference in the Workplace and how communication is sometimes lost in translation. I've been thinking a lot about my work and how...it just isn't working for me. In this context, generational differences, I thought about how I was communicating. And I think it has been too much.

This is a time for observation. For reflection on circumstances. A time to train my brain on the differences between professionalism and personalization.

In turning to research, I realize this is also a part of the process - depending on your method,  of course. But isn't it interesting how often we forget to observe what is going on?

Is it could considered a weakness in Western culture? For women, strong-willed women, I think it is a vast and constant juxtaposition of having some ridiculously high standards and navigating to success. Saying nothing seems like a sure way to stay where you are.

But perhaps it is a way to gain information that no one is talking about. Slight glaces and nods. Verbal cues by way of coughing or suddenly dropping a pen.

Or maybe it is the best place to be just outside the circle.

For research, of course. 

No comments: